"Skalholt Church: visit religious history" Skálholt by fred98115
Skálholt Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 45 photos
While on a one day excursion from Reykjavik, we stopped here for an hour to roam about the grounds, see the church, and visit restrooms. This is the eleventh church on the site and was consecrated in 1963. It was the ancient seat of the Catholic bishops, the first taking his seat in 1056 A.D. Following the Reformation, Lutherans sat here from 1540 A.D. to 1801 A.D. We wished we had more than an hour because there are some interesting trails to archaelogical sites that we did not get to see.
- In a nutshell:Well worth a stop, especially if you can wander about ...
fred98115's Related Pages
Skálholt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skálholt - The Cathedral - winter pictures."
- "Skalholt Church: visit religious history"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Skálholt
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Skálholt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skálholt
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Oslo Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Ny-Ålesund Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Montevideo Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos
- North Iceland Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
No friends yet.