"LA SUISSE ROMANDE -THE FRENCH-SPEAKING SWITZERLAND" nyperose's Profile

I have lived in Lausanne, Switzerland since 1985.

I was born in Oslo, Norway.

I became a VT member in April 2008, but with different activities going on during the summer, I forgot all about it....... until I received a reminder from VT... and, I'm so glad they sent me one! I love this forum where you can meet so many interesting people sharing the same passion: travellling! I also love learning foreign languages and I'am particularly fond of nature, hiking, walking, cycling and being surrounded by beautiful landscapes and scenery. I also find it very interesting to visit cities.

Switzerland is a nice country where you can find almost everything, except the sea, but the mountains, lakes and forests, small cosy towns and its excellent location in the heart of Europe makes up for it. Switzerland is a very practical base for travelling.

Switzerland is a pretty small country, with 41 285 sq km and about 7 million inhabitants. It is divided into 26 cantons (states) and has 4 official languages, German (68%), French (19%), Italian (8%) and Rhaeto-Romanic (1 %).

This country is in many ways very traditionnal, but at the same time, a very international one, because of all the international organizations, foreign companies and people from all over the world living here.

In a few words - it's a nice place to live:-D

I am planning to build more pages about Switzerland, little by little........

A nice walk up in the Swiss Alps

When you are tired of visiting big cities, it' s nice to go and get some fresh air contemplating the scenery, and breathing in the scent of alpine vegetation. The Edelweiss is hard to find, but there are plenty of other beautiful flowers here.

Lavaux, above the Lake Léman (Lake of Geneva)

This region is called Lavaux, and is the wine- growing district, situated in the sunny hillside above the Lake Léman.

It's a very nice going for strolls here and taste the grapes (after the wine harvest!)

Grapes from Lavaux

Some nice juicy grapes before the harvest!

By the Lake Léman, Bellerive

A relaxing stroll along the lake.

From Lausanne you can walk east towards Lutry, (the wine growing district) or west towards St. Sulpice or Morges, passing by the sport fields at Vidy, where you can take part in all sorts of sports.

Beaches, Bellerive, Lausanne

During the summer season it is nice to go for a swim in the lake Léman. Some people even swim here all around the year! A bit cold, though!

The beaches are nice and sandy and the lake is clean. but if you prefer to swim in the pool, there is a nice olympic swimming-pool right behind the beaches.

A view of the Lake Léman from the mountains

This picture is taken from the heights above Montreux. Unfortunately, it was a bit misty. I'll put a better one there when it gets cooler and clearer!

On clear days you can see the French alps across the lake, as well as places situated very far away. When it's dark and clear, you can see all the lights across the lake in France from Lausanne.

Ouchy, Lausanne

Ouchy, Lausanne is the place where people meet when the weather is nice.

The underground station is here. There are kiosks, restaurants and small cosy cafés all around. Even the birds like to socialize here-:D

From Ouchy the ferry can take you across the lake to France; Evian-les-Bains, in 30 minutes. It also goes to Vevey, Montreux, and other places in both Switzerland and France. You can also rent a boat or a bike here and take a trip on your own. If you want to do both, but only have time for one activity, then a pedal-boat is a good compromise:-D

• Intro Updated Jul 22, 2012

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Congrats on being featured as Member Photo of the Week! Your awesome photos of the Gardens by the Bay are featured on our VT Facebook page here: facebook.com/VirtualTourist?...

I'll be writing you shortly so we can get you some VT swag!

Congrats again!

Ellen, Happy Birthday. See you around. PJ

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Hi Ellen
    Would you be interested in going to watch the cow fight in Nax on 8th June?

May 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Hi Sonja, thank you for the invitation, but my week- ends are already fully booked, otherwise I would have loved to come:-) greetings from sunny Lausanne ( not a joke, we actually see a glimpse of sun after weeks with rain:-). Ellen

May 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Welcome to Moscow at any time :-)

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Thanks for the birthday greetings Ellen. Hope 2013 is a great year for you !

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

My wife and I have been to Switzerland one time on our first visit to Europe in 2008. Enjoyed 3 days in Lauterbrunnen and 1 day in Lucerne. Got close again on our 2nd trip this year as we spent 3 days in Stresa, Italy.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful New Year

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Thank you Sarah, I logged in a bit too late to wish you a Merry Christmas, but I wish you a Happy New Year:-) Ellen

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Ellen, Have a wondeful Birthday. See you around. PJ

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!