"Oasis Camp Juba - Still the best" Juba by NeilUSA

Juba Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 63 photos

Lots of improvements at Oasis

I was in Juba for several weeks in Feb/March and was somewhat surprised by all the new 'hotels' that seem to have sprung up since my last visit, 2 years ago. When I was in Juba then, I stayed at the Oasis Camp (It used to be known as the Civicon Camp but has changed owners). So I thought I would try a newer place and started off with Sunflower Camp. I spent 2 nights here and it was a nightmare. There is a reason why this place is $10-30 cheaper than other prominent hotels - Its because its overcrowded, run-down, the prefabs are packed like sardines and I had severe food poisoning from the restaurant at the camp. I quickly moved to Beijing Juba. And once again, its overly expensive, the service, atmosphere is typical of most Chinese run establishments - Big, gaudy and very very poor service. So I finally decided to go back to Oasis Camp. It really is an Oasis in Juba - Its located by the Nile. Prefabs are well maintained, large, air-conditioned includes satellite TV, Wireless and the rooms are all self contained. It seems that the new owners are trying very hard to improve standards - the meals were surprisingly good (full-board) and the management is very responsive. For Juba, this place is still the best and is slowly getting better. There is also a nice bar by the water where you can enjoy a cold beer and a nice steak (Pricey at first but I came to appreciate the prices much more, as the manager explained to me that every single ingredient had to be flown in from Nairobi). Hotels in Juba are by no means world class - but neither is Juba and I do understand all the challenges the owners face in operating these establishements.

• Last visit to Juba: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2008

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.