"I live to Travel!" leo.weeks's Profile

When and where can I go next?

Wife and I love Germany more than anywhere, though Anchorage runs a close second. Due to the restraints the Army places on me I don't get a lot of free time, but when I do we love to get out of the country if we can get a reliable pet sitter. Luckily we are stationed close to my hometown of New Orleans and we get to do all the touristy things I avoided doing while growing up in the crescent city.

Where would I live and why?

If I win the lottery my wife Jami and I are moving to the Rhine River valley of Germany near St Goar. It is definitely one of the most beautiful places in the world. Driving up the riverside road from Rudesheim to Koblenz is an experience that I simply can't put into words. Many the times I caught myself driving about 5 miles an hour gawking at the sights, or pointing out castles on mountaintops for my wife to photograph or videotape. Of course if you really want the full experience get on a river cruise and go up and down the river between the two aforementioned cities. My wife grew up in Germany (Army Brat) and her tales of camping along the Rhine are always fun to hear. The stories of German "Bikers" partying with her and her family's homemade Sangria always end with the drunken hard partying "bikers" too smashed to ride their mopeds home. The UBER friendly locals and excited families visiting from all over Europe and the world make the whole package unforgettable! Iche Liebe Deustchland!

Why do I love Anchorage?

After travelling all over the world, literally, with the Army and on my own I was stationed in Anchorage from 1997-2001 again 2004-2007 and fell in love with the Army base there and the city. Of course growing up in New Orleans I was spoiled for city life. Anchorage is more like a big small town. Because of geographic isolation the "Anchorage Bowl" is a place where you will see the same people everywhere you go and the good people are easy to find. Alaskans are a breed apart from the rest of America. The pioneer spirit is alive and kicking even among the skyscrapers, hotels and fancy condos. In what other city will you see hundreds of fishermen looking for parking places downtown at 2am on a sunny summer night? Yes I said SUNNY summer night! Most people ask me "how do you put up with it being dark all the time way up there? When they see my Alaska license plates. Of course I let them know that the being dark all winter is balanced heavily by the sun never going down in the summer. There is a "midnight fun run" on the summer solstace every June 21st. I loved going to see a play, going out drinking downtown to "Humpy's" going fishing for giant King Salmon in ship creek that runs through downtown. Having some of the best food outside of New Orleans or Germany, getting fresh King Crab that will melt in your mouth etc etc etc. I can't say enough good stuff about Anchorage. Sure it has its bad areas and crime problems with gangs like any other city, but compared to New Orleans it is crime free! If you like hockey, or are open to liking it, you can't be dissappointed at the "Aces" hockey games all winter (even if they lose sometimes the Alsakan Amber beer makes up for that). Watch their mascot goof around and "chuck a puck" in between periods to try and win a prize. In August head to the Alaska State Fair and see world record vegitables you won't believe! How big can a zucchini get when it never gets dark while it is growing? HUGE! I LOVE ALASKA!!! (PHOTOS TO COME) HOW DID I FORGET TO MENTION THE IDITIROD OR FUR RONDY?? NEXT TIME

• Intro Updated Apr 11, 2009

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2008 at 1:38 PM

You did NOT just tell me Pat O's beloved icon passed away! I'm so sad to hear that....tks for stopping by my NoLa pages...go Saints!

• babettu's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Welcome to VT !!! greetings from Malta ;)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!