"Estepona - Costa del Sol" Top 5 Page for this destination Estepona by GibJoe
Estepona Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 261 photos
The first name of Estepona was Astapa, it used to be a stopping point for vessels travelling from Gadir to Malaca, now called Cadiz and Malaga. In 1456 under the reign of Enrique IV, Estepona was retaken from the moors. Estepona obtained its independence from Marbella in 1729, at the time it only had a population of around 600.
More recently Estepona has changed from being a fishing village to becoming a town and a tourist destination. It is a more tranquil and less exploited town than Marbella, Torremolinos, Fuengirola and Benalmadena. It does offer good restaurants and excellent beaches.
Estepona is in a good location to visit Gibraltar, Marbella, Casares etc.. It does have good access by road. The two nearest airports are Gibraltar (40 mins) and Malaga (60 mins).
If you have any questions about Estepona, just send me an email I might be able to help you.
I will shortly be writing a tip on Selwo, a nature/zoo park in estepona.
- Pros:Not so many tourists
- Cons:Can be a bit quiet especially in winter
Take a walk through the old town, you will come across many typical andalusian streets. Wear comfortable shoes as the... more travel advice
The Estepona Bullring was inaugurated in 1972, and it is quite peculiar in its shape. I personally don't like... more travel advice
GibJoe's Related Pages
Estepona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Estepona, a charming town"
- "Estepona, a great little base for explorations!"
- "Estepona, Costa del Sol"
- "Estepona - Costa del Sol"
- "Estepona - unspoilt by the British Costa Invasion"
- "An idyllic spot"
- "Amapola's Estepona Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estepona
- Hotels in Estepona
- Transportation in Estepona
- Nightlife in Estepona
- Restaurants in Estepona
- Shopping in Estepona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Estepona
- 13 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Estepona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estepona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos
- Pattaya Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- London Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarifa (Cadiz) Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos
- Medina Sidonia Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estepona Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Cómpeta Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Madrid Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos