"The City Of Sidon" Medina Sidonia by GibJoe
Medina Sidonia Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 119 photos
Medina Sidonia is a small village situated in the Province of Cadiz. It is 300m above sea level and has 11,000 habitants. The village has Roman and medieval walls and tidy narrow cobbled streets. It is only thirty minutes from Jerez, and forty minutes from Cadiz, the road access is quite good been dual carriageway. The city's name comes from Medina (Arabic for city) and Sidonia (of Sidon), meaning "City of Sidon". The name Sidon proceeds from the Phoenician Civilization. I spend about three hours in Medina Sidona, mainly concentrating in the old city centre, I must also add that even though the old city centre is small I didn’t find the Tourist Information Office. I saw a few signs pointing you in the right direction of the tourist office, but I did not find it ! The other attraction which I missed and I would have loved to see was the Roman sewers, but unfortunately it was closed during my visit. I will have to go back one day. I would say Medina Sidonia is a town to see in a couple of hours. One critic of Medina Sidonia tourist product is that they have wonderful old buildings and next to it a rubbish dumpster. I do realize that rubbish has to be put somewhere and that tourists bring a lot of rubbish, but there surely must be a better way to camouflage the bins or place them in another location other than next to a historic building. Luckily we have Photoshop to remove them from our pictures !
I would suggest that you park your car and walk, the streets are quite narrow and Medina Sidonia is a small village. I... more travel advice
Built in 1871, as you can see from my photos at the time of my visit there was no activity at all, probably it only... more travel advice
GibJoe's Related Pages
Medina Sidonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City Of Sidon"
- "And out of the mist appeared a city."
- "ANCIENT HILL- TOP VILLAGE"
- "3000 years of History"
- "MEDINA SIDONIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Medina Sidonia
- Transportation in Medina Sidonia
- Restaurants in Medina Sidonia
- Shopping in Medina Sidonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Medina Sidonia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cape Verde
- Napier Hotels
- Jekyll Island Hotels
- Narayanganj Hotels
- Marina di Pietrasanta Hotels
- Tajpur Hotels
- De Panne
- Muddus Nationalpark
- Santo Domingo
- Estado de Baja California Norte
- Sungai Lembing
- Sebago Lake State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Medina Sidonia
- 12 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Medina Sidonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medina Sidonia
Photos in Medina SidoniaSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos
- Pattaya Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- London Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarifa (Cadiz) Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos
- Medina Sidonia Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estepona Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Cómpeta Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Madrid Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos