"The City Of Sidon" Medina Sidonia by GibJoe

Medina Sidonia Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 119 photos

Medina Sidonia

Medina Sidonia is a small village situated in the Province of Cadiz. It is 300m above sea level and has 11,000 habitants. The village has Roman and medieval walls and tidy narrow cobbled streets. It is only thirty minutes from Jerez, and forty minutes from Cadiz, the road access is quite good been dual carriageway. The city's name comes from Medina (Arabic for city) and Sidonia (of Sidon), meaning "City of Sidon". The name Sidon proceeds from the Phoenician Civilization. I spend about three hours in Medina Sidona, mainly concentrating in the old city centre, I must also add that even though the old city centre is small I didn’t find the Tourist Information Office. I saw a few signs pointing you in the right direction of the tourist office, but I did not find it ! The other attraction which I missed and I would have loved to see was the Roman sewers, but unfortunately it was closed during my visit. I will have to go back one day. I would say Medina Sidonia is a town to see in a couple of hours. One critic of Medina Sidonia tourist product is that they have wonderful old buildings and next to it a rubbish dumpster. I do realize that rubbish has to be put somewhere and that tourists bring a lot of rubbish, but there surely must be a better way to camouflage the bins or place them in another location other than next to a historic building. Luckily we have Photoshop to remove them from our pictures !

• Last visit to Medina Sidonia: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 3, 2009

Badges & Stats in Medina Sidonia

Have you been to Medina Sidonia?

Latest Activity in Medina Sidonia