Airlie Beach Off The Beaten Path Tips by CandS Top 5 Page for this destination
Airlie Beach Off The Beaten Path: 11 reviews and 19 photos
Border Island from the air
We spent our fifth night at Cataran Bay, Border Island while on the boat. It was a great place to stop and do some snorkelling. The snorkelling was the best of the places we visited in the Whitsundays - the water was very clear and there were lots of fish.
We also stopped at Dumbell Island quickly on our way over to Whitsunday Island for another snorkel...
There are no camping or toilet facilities on Border Island or Dumbell Island...but you should have everything you need on your boat anyway. :)
We spent some time on and around Whitsunday Island... We anchored at Cid Habour, Turtle Bay, Whitehaven Beach and Tongue Bay. We also did some good hikes, fishing, snorkelling, swimming and relaxing there.
Whitsunday Island is the biggest of the islands and is well known because of the amazing Whitehaven Beach.
On Whitsunday Island you will find camping facilities, toilets, picnic areas and tap water at various locations around the island.
We stopped at Hook Island quite a few times while on our boat trip since it is such a big island...
We managed to visit Nara Inlet, Stonehaven, Butterfly Bay, Manta Ray Bay, Macona Inlet and the Hook Island resort/observatory.
We went into the observatory and fed the fish from the jetty...while we were there we saw "George" a huge Maori Wrasse fish along with lots of smaller fish.
Hook Island has some camping areas, snorkelling, fishing, beaches etc.
At Cataran Bay
While in the Whitsundays make sure you go snorkelling somewhere around the islands or reef. We snorkelled around Whitsunday Island and Hook Island and saw some fantastic corals and fish!
I had never been snorkelling before but after a few minutes in waist deep water trying to get my breathing right, I was ready to go out to the coral... I never guessed it could be so beautiful underwater! I would totally recommend you give it a go!
Hill Inlet and Whitehaven in the background
Whitehaven Beach is a very famous and beautiful beach. It is 6 kms of pure white silica sand.
For the best view of Whitehaven Beach you should do the walk from Tongue Bay to the lookout but it is also nice to spend some time on the beach too. From the lookout we got a fantastic view of the beach and Hill Inlet - it was low tide so we got to see all of the sandbars and it was beautiful!
We spent one night anchored at Whitehaven and spent a lot of time on the beach. :)
Spion Kop view of South Molle Island
South Molle Island is a very popular resort for families... It has a great pool, golf course, tennis courts, many hiking tracks, water sports, shops, bar & restaurants etc. It woud be my pick of those I saw if we went to a resort at the Whitsundays...
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 07 49469433
We spent our seventh night at Hamilton Island in the marina. We spent some time down at the resort pool drinking cocktails and relaxing then had dinner at a nice restaurant...
Hamilton Island was our first real brush with civilisation since getting on our boat. The sleep wasn't too good since the nightclub is right next to the marina and the music played till the early hours of the morning...but the water was calm and our ear plugs worked well... ;)
More Reviews (16)
- See All Whitsunday Terraces View
- See All Whitehaven Beach
- See All Fast Food
- Not much...
CandS's Related Pages
Airlie Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "'Whitsunday Wonderland'"
- "Airlie Beach"
- "Airlie Beach - Venue for the big 2009 OZ VT Meet"
- "Whitsunday Wonderland 2009 Big Downunder Meet"
- "Honeymoon in Airlie Beach"
- "Thursday night meet & greet"
- "Airlie Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Airlie Beach
- Hotels in Airlie Beach
- Transportation in Airlie Beach
- Nightlife in Airlie Beach
- Restaurants in Airlie Beach
- Shopping in Airlie Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Airlie Beach
- See All...
Explore the World
- Seaton Carew Hotels
- Indianapolis Hotels
- Serpent Mound State Memorial Hotels
- Daytona Beach
- `Atlit Hotels
- Orlando Off The Beaten Path
- Ireland Off The Beaten Path
- North Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Honolulu Off The Beaten Path
- Destin Off The Beaten Path
- Kansas City Off The Beaten Path
- Thailand Off The Beaten Path
- Istanbul Off The Beaten Path
- Cleveland Off The Beaten Path
- Memphis Off The Beaten Path
- Pennsylvania Off The Beaten Path
- Arkansas Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Airlie Beach
- 23 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Airlie Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Airlie Beach
Photos in Airlie BeachSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wagga Wagga Intro, 63 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vanuatu Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- New York City Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Penang Intro, 47 reviews, 48 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 44 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 41 reviews, 43 photos
- Australia Intro, 34 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitsunday Islands Intro, 31 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 37 reviews, 32 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Airlie Beach hotel reviews
- Blue Horizon Resort Apartments
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Whitsunday Terraces Resort
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Club Crocodile Resort Airlie Beach
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Waterfront Whitsunday Retreat
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Pinnacles Resort & Spa
- 226 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Airlie Waterfront Bed and Breakfast
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Best Western Mango House Resort
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Beach Court Holiday Villas Cannonvale
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 22, 2012
- Seaview Apartments
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Boathaven Spa Resort
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Coral Sea Resort
- 336 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Whitsunday Wanderers Resort Airlie Beach
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Bush Village Backpackers Resort
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Waters Edge Resort Whitsundays
- 340 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Peninsula Airlie Beach
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013