"Beautiful Broken Hill" Top 5 Page for this destination Broken Hill by CandS
Broken Hill Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 352 photos
Broken Hill is a really beautiful place. The landscape is amazing and there is so much to see! I had heard that it's a real 'hole' but that's not the case at all...unless you just want to party maybe... If you are a keen photographer, love nature or enjoy trying new things it will keep you busy for days! :)
As for information on the city itself...there are around 20,000 people living in Broken Hill. It is a very tidy town and everything (old buildings etc) is done up nicely... The closest major city is Adelaide which is about 500 kms south.
My favourite part of visiting Broken Hill was our visit to the Sculpture Park at sunrise when me and a friend visited in our pyjamas to take photos. ;) We were the only people on the hill...perfect!
The landscape around the town is mostly flat but there are some hills around too. The dirt is a fantastic red colour with lots of salt bushes and dry looking plants and the sky is a fantastic blue. In the town itself there are lots of historic (from late 1800?s anyway) buildings and the streets are very wide. Broken Hill is well known for its mining industry and also for its art. Zinc, Iron and Silver are still mined there today.
The funniest thing happened on our way home from Broken Hill. It is about a 9 hour trip from Wagga Wagga to Broken Hill... On our way home (just myself and two girlfriends) we left our headlights on accidentally while we went to lunch...when we came back out the battery was dead of course. After searching and asking for help a strange 'scruffy' looking guy came up and offered to help. He ended up helping us by using his car battery to start our car and about 30 minutes after our lunch he finally got us going. :) He wouldn't let us give him any money or even buy him a beer...such a nice gesture! :) Country towns are great (that happened in Mildura by the way)...
- Pros:Fantastic scenery for photos!
- Cons:A LONG way from anywhere...
- In a nutshell:Great fun for a visit! A true outback town!
The sculptures are amazing...they are located on a hill about 10-15 minutes drive from the town. It is about a 15... more travel advice
We went for a one hour camel ride one day and it was fantastic. :) They were very friendly camels and very... more travel advice
CandS's Related Pages
Broken Hill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BROKEN HILL - SILVER CITY"
- "Art Capital of Australia"
- "Broken Hill"
- "BROKEN HILL "THE SILVER CITY"..New South Wales.."
- "Beautiful Broken Hill"
- "Broken Hill - The Aussie outback"
- "The Broken Hill - Line of Lode"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broken Hill
- Hotels in Broken Hill
- Transportation in Broken Hill
- Restaurants in Broken Hill
- Shopping in Broken Hill
- Warnings and Dangers in Broken Hill
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Broken Hill
- 14 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Broken Hill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broken Hill
- updated a Broken Hill Travel Page "Beautiful Broken Hill"
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Private Tours?"
- Commented on one of aussiedoug's Broken Hill travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit Delprats Mine"
- Wrote a Review Visit the sculptures... about Broken Hill Living Desert and Sculptures in Broken Hill Things to Do
Photos in Broken HillSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wagga Wagga Intro, 63 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vanuatu Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- New York City Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Penang Intro, 47 reviews, 48 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 44 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 41 reviews, 43 photos
- Australia Intro, 34 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitsunday Islands Intro, 31 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 37 reviews, 32 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos