"Tumut and the surrounds..." Tumut by CandS

Tumut Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 183 photos

I have been to the Tumut area many times for different things... It's a great area and there is so much to see and do. It is around one hours drive from my home town of Wagga Wagga so it is a place I take my overseas visitors to...

If you are wanting to see some real Aussie wildlife then the Tumut area is a great place for you!!!! We took our Dutch friends Bianca and Anne along on one trip and we saw lots of kangaroos and emus while driving around.

Camping is especially great at Tumut...the dam is a wonderful place to go camping, fishing, skiing, horse riding, boating etc. :)

As for Tumut itself...the town has around 7,500 people. It is 275 metres above sea level. The Aboriginal meaning of Tumut is something like "a quiet resting place by the river"...a great name for the place. :)

• In a nutshell:Great place to 'get away from it all'... :)
  • Last visit to Tumut: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2004

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Can't believe I went to Adelong and forgot to contact you guys. I didn't relate Wagga to Adelong and it was a rushed trip. Sorry about that. Cheers, Ian

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 7:57 AM

I taught in Tumut for a year - Talbingo Dam was just being built. Such a pretty place. cheers -Leyle aka TheFootlooseEmu.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2004 at 11:24 PM

Hey Sherie, love the emu pic :o) And those pipes, wow, humungous! Thanks for sharing. Ann :o)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2004 at 3:46 AM

Have an Aunty in Tumut, but have never stayed there. Mind you, we've stayed in Old Adaminaby & even skiied at Mt Selwyn, After reading all this maybe it's time to change that!

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2003 at 4:47 PM

Is there any gold left there, hope to see more of this place.

Badges & Stats in Tumut