"San Marino" Top 5 Page for this destination San Marino by eksvist
San Marino Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 428 photos
The City of San Marino is the capital city of the Republic of San Marino on the Italian peninsula, near the Adriatic Sea. The city has a population of 4,493. It is on the western slopes of San Marino's highest point, Monte Titano.
Although the capital, most of the businesses are in Borgo Maggiore. It is the third largest city in the country, after Dogana and Borgo Maggiore. It borders the San Marino municipalities Acquaviva, Borgo Maggiore, Fiorentino, and Chiesanuova and the Italian municipality San Leo.
The city was founded Saint Marinus and several Christian refugees in the year 301.
The urban heart of the city was protected by three towers: the first, Guaita, constructed in the 11th century, had intraspasable fame, which to a great extent reduced the attacks to the city.
Due to Crusades, the necessity was seen to construct a second tower, Cesta (13th century). But the Sanmarinense defensive system was not completed until the construction of the one third tower, - the Montale (14th century) - smallest of all and constructed on the last one of summits of the Monte Titano.
The city, visited by more than three million people in a year, has risen progressively as a great tourist center. Of the tourists, 85% are Italian. In addition there are more than a thousand stores, where it is possible to find great variety of products.
San Marino is most charming town, what I've visited. I like it very much and I am ready to return to this city anytime. I think, when somebody visiting the Italy and Venice, then it is not far from Venice - San Marino.
This is place, where you can buy cheap leather products as belts and many oher ...
Of course there is fantastic alcohol drink Amaretto, if you like almond-liqueurs...
I think it wasn't the most important for me to visit the museums and sights in San Marino. The shopping wasn't the... more travel advice
eksvist's Related Pages
San Marino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Marino – the Tiny Capital of the Tiny Republic"
- "San Marino: ancient land of liberty"
- "City of San Marino"
- "Historical centre"
- "San Marino"
- "San Marino – The oldest Republic in the World"
- "Medeval Republic of San Marino"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Marino
- Hotels in San Marino
- Transportation in San Marino
- Restaurants in San Marino
- Shopping in San Marino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Marino
- 3 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to San Marino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Marino
Photos in San MarinoSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Intro, 19 reviews, 76 photos
- Rome Intro, 16 reviews, 65 photos
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 57 photos
- Florence Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Vatican City Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Monistrol de Montserrat Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Capri Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos