"Kronstadt" Kronshtadt by eksvist
Kronshtadt Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 179 photos
Kronstadt, also spelled Kronshtadt, Cronstadt is a Russian seaport town, located on Kotlin Island, thirty kilometers west of Saint Petersburg near the head of the Gulf of Finland. It is under the administration of the federal city of Saint Petersburg and is also its main port.
Kronstadt has always been a major training center for the Russian Navy's staff, where served a whole number of the Russian fleet commanders, including admirals Feodor Ushakov, Georgy Spiridov, Dmitri Seniavin, Mikhail Lazarev, Pavel Nakhimov, Vladimir Kornilov, Stepan Makarov, as well as the most famous sea explorers such as Adam Johann Ritter von Krusenstern, and Yuri F. Lisianski, Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen, Vasili Golovnin, Friedrich Benjamin Lutke.
The town has also been the home of important scientific inventions. At Kronstadt, the pysicist Alexander Popov, then a lecturer of the Navy's Torpedo School, invented radio in 1895, and he was the first who use wireless for communicating with and between ships over long distances.
eksvist's Related Pages
Kronshtadt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "once a military outpost & off limits for tourists"
- "Welcome to Kronstadt"
- "Cruise Ship Passage"
- "Kronshtadt a Naval City"
- "Kronshtadt - sea fortress of Saint-Petersburg"
- "Kronstadt - Peter I's strategic Naval Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kronshtadt
- Hotels in Kronshtadt
- Transportation in Kronshtadt
- Restaurants in Kronshtadt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kronshtadt
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kronshtadt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kronshtadt
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Intro, 19 reviews, 76 photos
- Rome Intro, 16 reviews, 65 photos
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 57 photos
- Florence Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Vatican City Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Monistrol de Montserrat Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Capri Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos