"Vatican City - Stato della Cittą del Vaticano" Vatican City by eksvist
Vatican City Travel Guide: 1,329 reviews and 4,129 photos
Vatican City, officially State of the Vatican City, is a landlocked sovereign city-state whose territory consists of a walled enclave within the city of Rome.
At approximately 44 hectares, and with a population of around 800, it is the smallest independent state in the world by both population and area.
Vatican City is a non-hereditary, elected monarchy that is ruled by the Bishop of Rome ? the Pope. The highest state functionaries are all clergymen of the Catholic Church. It is the sovereign territory of the Holy See (Sancta Sedes) and the location of the Pope's residence, referred to as the Apostolic Palace.
The name Vatican is ancient and predates Christianity, coming from the Latin Mons Vaticanus, meaning Vatican Mount.
The territory of Vatican City is part of the Mons Vaticanus, and of the adjacent former Vatican Fields where St. Peter's Basilica, the Apostolic Palace, the Sistine Chapel, and museums were built, along with various other buildings.
The territory included St. Peter's Square, which was not possible to isolate from the rest of Rome, and therefore a largely imaginary border with Italy runs along the outer limit of the square where it touches on Piazza Pio XII and Via Paolo VI. St. Peter's Square is reached through the Via della Conciliazione which runs from the Tiber River to St. Peter's.
Though earlier Popes recruited Swiss mercenaries as part of an army, the Pontifical Swiss Guard was founded by Pope Julius II on 22 January 1506 as the personal bodyguard of the Pope and continues to fulfil that function.
Recruitment is arranged by a special agreement between the Holy See and Switzerland, and is restricted to Catholic male (Swiss) citizens.
The Vatican Museums include: EGYPTIAN MUSEUM CHIARAMONTI MUSEUM MUSEUM OF POPES CLEMENT XIV AND PIUS VI GREGORIAN MUSEUM... more travel advice
Saint Peter's Square - Piazza San Pietro, is located directly in front of St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, the... more travel advice
eksvist's Related Pages
Vatican City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vatican City - Holy See"
- "The Holy See: A Pilgrim's Report"
- "Destination: Citta Del Vaticano"
- "A country in a City!"
- "VATICAN CITY"
- "The Smallest Country in the World"
- "Papal Palace, Papal City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vatican City
- Hotels in Vatican City
- Transportation in Vatican City
- Nightlife in Vatican City
- Restaurants in Vatican City
- Shopping in Vatican City
- Warnings and Dangers in Vatican City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vatican City
- 6 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Vatican City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vatican City
Photos in Vatican CitySee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Intro, 19 reviews, 76 photos
- Rome Intro, 16 reviews, 65 photos
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 57 photos
- Florence Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Vatican City Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Monistrol de Montserrat Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Capri Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos