"Mount Vesuvius - Monte Vesuvio" Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio by eksvist
Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 126 photos
Mount Vesuvius is an active stratovolcano. It is the only volcano on the European mainland to have erupted within the last hundred years, although it is not currently erupting. The two other volcanoes in Italym, Etna and Stromboli, are located on islands.
Vesuvius is on the coast of the Bay of Naples, about nine kilometres east of Naples and a short distance from the shore.
Vesuvius is best known for its eruption in AD 79 that led to the destruction of the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum. It has erupted many times since and is today regarded as one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world because of the population of 3,000,000 people now living close to it and its tendency towards explosive eruptions. It is the most densely populated volcanic region in the world.
The area around Vesuvius was officially declared a national park on 5 June 1995. The summit of Vesuvius is open to visitors and there is a small network of paths around the mountain that are maintained by the park authorities on weekends.
There is access by road to within 200 metres of the summit (measured vertically), but thereafter access is on foot only. There is a spiral walkway around the mountain from the road to the crater.
eksvist's Related Pages
Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vesuvius - Now and Then"
- "Il Vesuvio"
- "Mount Vesuvius - Monte Vesuvio"
- "Vesuvius - Don't shake the bottle."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
- Transportation in Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
- Restaurants in Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
- Warnings and Dangers in Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
Photos in Parco Nazionale del VesuvioSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Intro, 19 reviews, 76 photos
- Rome Intro, 16 reviews, 65 photos
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 57 photos
- Florence Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Vatican City Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Monistrol de Montserrat Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Capri Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos