"Lofty mountains, low land jungles, ancient temples" Nepal by lahoree

Nepal Travel Guide: 4,011 reviews and 10,830 photos

“Everest is there” was the sole reason for my decision to travel to Nepal. I was looking into the possibility of trekking to the base camp, but when I learnt that it needs at least three weeks home to home, I ultimately declined the idea as my employer would never allow me to be inaccessible for even a week. So why not hop on “Mountain Flight”, and I was there. Fortunately my dream was fulfilled the very next morning after my arrival.

But Nepal is more than just mountains. This land locked country also offers wonderful temples, stupas, jungles and rivers; amazing country, beautiful people, yummy food and a charm even on the chaotic roads and streets. There is no electricity for at least 16 hours; usually one can see light after 8pm for a couple of hours and after mid night. But this situation was a blessing in disguise. I was happy like a kid when someone informed me that “Blackberry” service is not available here; wow! A news that I heard for the first time since I am working; I am sure my staff must be happy as well that their boss can not establish his “remote office” from where he always forwards and sends emails 24/7.

Despite the fact that Kathmandu is polluted, piles of garbage and wild traffic; I was still lost in the charm of this city. Main tourist area of Thamel has its own magic that can only be felt; narrow roads and streets with hundreds of shops offering only trekking gear, pashmina and souvenirs; coupled with restaurants, tour operators and money changers; still I don’t know why I loved to stroll around Thamel area with out any reason. During the days of my stay in Thamel, I had made it a routine to walk around early in the morning and in the evening after dinner. At night time, I pod and digicam were not my gadgets but a battery operated little lantern was my companion. I was like a street watchman whose responsibility was to roam around the streets (with an oil lantern in his one and a stick in the other hand) so that people can sleep without any worry about thieves. But I don’t have a stick in my hand and I was not speaking out loudly “Jagtay Rehna”.

Jungle safari in Chitwan on the back of elephant.

Patan, best place near Kathmandu.

For glimpses of my Nepal trip, visit my “Travelogues” and my Kathmandu and Chitwan pages

• Last visit to Nepal: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2009

• adeeltahir's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 4:32 AM

Great photoes, I am also thinking to go to Nepal and to see mount everest. Thanks for nice photoes.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM

OMGGGGGGGGG! You went to NEPAL without even inviting me, hehehe...what a great trip! Amazing, Moosafer...I am SOOOOO envious...glad to know it's not only Manila that has "brown-outs" - no electric.... YUMMY food, cute kids, and a dog backpack! Norman :)

Badges & Stats in Nepal