"Queens in Queensland!" Cairns by Susumarie

Cairns Travel Guide: 867 reviews and 2,199 photos

Carrying on in Cairns

We left the big, bustling Sydney airport in cold, windy weather, so we were dressed in somewhat warm clothes. We arrived in the teeny Cairnes airport, and immediately knew we were in trouble. When we traveled through Europe, I went the exciting direction, and took buses where we didn't speak the language. Now that we spoke the language (sorta) I had pre-arranged transportation. Didn't seem to make much difference, as we waited in the 250% humidity for someone to show up. When we did finally get to the hotel, the room was not, of course, ready, so we stripped down in their bathroom -- what a relief!

Strolling Into Town

There is much to stroll about the town of Cairns, just walking around the shops, the markets, the mall in the center of town. When we first got in, we were just so happy to get into cooler clothes, and strolling through town was very relaxing. Once we had worn ourselves out, we found a very nice little bar right on the water to just sit and talk about where we had been, where we would be going, and just appreciate the peace and beauty.

If You Visit Cairns, You Have to Visit The Reef

I suppose there are those who come to Cairns or Pt. Douglas that do not go out to the Great Barrier Reef, but I can't imagine it. That is why we aimed ourselves toward Cairns, then looked for other things to do. What a wonderful trip we had, and the people we met. It is amazing to me the truly wonderful people we meet every step of our trips -- is it just that everyone is so happy on holiday, or are "foreigners" just so wonderful?

• Last visit to Cairns: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2009

Comments

Susumarie

“The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it!”

Badges & Stats in Cairns