"Howdy From Oklahoma" Susumarie's Profile

Springtime in Mustang, Oklahoma

Everything is beginning to bloom, and along with the flowers, I have baby geese coming to visit. As the winter birds have left and the spring birds are hatching, I'm realizing this will be something new to look forward to with my upcoming trip across the Atlantic. There will surely be birds I've never seen before, and as my eyes will sparkle at the sights, I am sure my daughter will be rolling her eyes at me...

Who What Where Why Mustang?

I ended up in Oklahoma due to work. I ended up in Mustang because I figured if I didn't get away from high traffic, road rage was going to be the end of someone. In Los Angeles, I drove 10 miles, and it took me 30 minutes on a good day, and I was ready to snap when I got to work. When I moved here, I started from the work place and drove outward, determined to find a home that would be a peaceful drive in. I found that in Mustang, a quiet suburb to the west of OKC. When I first got here, I had one stop sign to deal with and could make it in 8 minutes (provided no radar is out...). All I have to deal with are cows on either side of the road; in the winter time, they are quite amusing, steaming out of both ends...

If You Don't Like The Weather, Give It 10 Minutes

One thing I do appreciate about Oklahoma, is it does have definite seasons -- the pear trees turning beautiful white in spring, everything green and flowering in summer, gorgeous fall colors, and even snow (though usually exciting ice storms...) in the winter. And it is so, so true, if you don't like the weather, just give it an hour or so, and it is sure to have turned on you. Being in tornado alley has, of course, led to some great stories. I have had a 'fraidy cat hole built into my garage floor, but for some reason, the spiders want to multiply down there -- me and spiders do NOT mix. There is nothing down there for them, why they keep going down there has to be only to torment me. One evening when tornadoes were touching down west of me, though, I thought I better clean it out, just in case, so I had the vacuum out, try to suck the buggers up, which is not an easy task. There I am, breaking out in a sweat over the fear (not of the tornado, but of the spiders) with 3 dogs gathered around me wondering if I had lost my mind, when the siren goes off on my corner, meaning it is now time to get the dogs and me down the hole -- and I'm not done sucking up the 8-legged devils!

Exotic Animals of the Midwest(?)

Everyone around the world seems to have such exotic animals to brag about -- my new friends from Canberra were so proud of their wallabies that just bounded up to their back porches. Well we, too, have OUR lovely creatures! Late at night, these lovely buggers come lurking about -- I do not understand how my dogs can sense they are out, as they will suddenly jump up, barking their heads off, and I'm never sure if there is a burglar out or not. Usually, it is a possum, hissing a storm. If I'm REALLY lucky, though, it'll be a polecat (skunk), and I don't think I will be getting a picture of one of those...

• Intro Updated Jan 17, 2009

• arezou_kerman's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Happy birthday my friend, best regards for u from Iran

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Happy Birthday Susumarie. Greetings from Sunny Greece! But, you know that, don't you:):) janet

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Great page. I look forward to reading more. Looks like a relaxing place to live and to visit.

• Onedragon's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Happy New Year Hauoli Makahiki Hou !

• sirgaw's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2008 at 11:29 PM

G'day Eliz. Just read your home page and have to ask - what happens if a tornedo is coming and the spiders are still in the hole? As you are asking about Australia, you'd better be aware that we have monster spiders here - and they just love people - LOL

• Oct 5, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Hi Elizabeth, that photo is beautiful! I fear we are confusing you on the BYO question, sorry. It really is very simple!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Hello Elizabeth. What a lovely opening pic! :o) Cheers, Ann.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Susumarie's Profile Photo

Susumarie

“The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it!”

Real Name