"The Mystery of Stonehenge" Stonehenge by JoostvandenVondel
Stonehenge Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 547 photos
Stonehenge is one of those places on earth which has been photographed and publicised almost to the point of ad nauseum. When one decides to may the more than £6.00 fee to enter the grounds rather than trying to get a view from the chain-link fence seperating the site from the motorway, one expects to 'bouldered over' with awe. There is a split second of hesitation when one says, 'is this it', but then quicky surrenders to 'gosh, this IS it!'
So there I was, a windy and cool July afternoon standing in front of one of the oldest sites I had ever visited. If the truth be told, I was indeed impressed.
Yes, you have to pay the fee to English Heritage for their 'upkeep' of the site (although I'm not sure how much maintenance is needed on pre-historic megaliths) and it is informative to use the complimentary audio tour head set which is actually well commentated. So you are a bonafide tourist no matter how hard you hide it.
However, a trip to Stonehenge is of course worth the detour if you are in the region of South West England.
- Pros:One of the oldest tourist attractions on earth!
- Cons:£6.60 entry fee for adults
- In a nutshell:One of those places you just HAVE to see.
JoostvandenVondel's Related Pages
Stonehenge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Stones, At Last!"
- "Ancient Monuments"
- "Stonehenge, my least favorite daytrip from London"
- "STONEHENGE The Prehistoric Mystery"
- "Those stones at Stonehenge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stonehenge
- Hotels in Stonehenge
- Transportation in Stonehenge
- Restaurants in Stonehenge
- Shopping in Stonehenge
- Warnings and Dangers in Stonehenge
- See All...
Explore the World
- Millmerran Hotels
- Tangub Hotels
- Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- Lower Diabaig
- Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Reserve Hotels
- Castleblayney Hotels
- Morden Hotels
- Laren Hotels
- Western Sahara
- Barton upon Humber
Badges & Stats in Stonehenge
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Stonehenge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonehenge
Photos in StonehengeSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos
- Oxford Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Siena Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos
- Netley Abbey Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Portugal 27 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Porto Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Rushton 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Stonehenge Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
No friends yet.