"Technology Traveler" toddecus's Profile
As a boy my parents took me on many trips throughout the united states, Canada, and Mexico. Highlights of my trips included catching a Coho Salmon in Vancouver and scuba diving in San Carlos.
This experience culminated with the incredible scuba diving visit to the Cayman Islands. Perhaps the most peaceful and beautiful piece of ocean I have experienced.
I talked my friend into getting passports, "Just in case, you never know". Not more than a year later we both got the call to go and teach Java and e-Business around the world for IBM. While we were on different teams for portions of the year, we both got to travel to an extroadinary list of countries. in 1999 I visited over 31 countries.
A typical work week was two days of teaching one or two days of helping students with laboratory work and one day of site seeing. I am sure we often missed critical places we should have seen. For example only after I returned to the states did I find out that "Den Haague" was "The Hague" and that I was in the center of the International courts world without knowing it.
If I could say a couple of things about the experience:
The perception of Americans was radically off from reality, because of the limited number of Americans that actually travel internationally. The old people and super rich that seem to be most peoples experience of Americans leaves me saddened.
The people the world over were incredibly generous with their time, energy and good will. Food, ideas, places to see, what to do, where to go, were abundant in my experience, whether in Santiago, Dubai, Seol, Warrick, Casa Blanca, or Toronto.
Thank you to those of you who contributed to my incredible experience!
I am unable to speak on travel without acknowledging the impact this experience has had on me. I was on Royal Jordanian airlines on the way to Shannon Ireland on this fateful day. I shall never forget the experience of being trapped outside my homeland, the limited nature of press in other countries, the generous fealty expressed by the Irish, nor the haunting emptiness of O'Hare when I first landed back in the states.
Alas this will not deter me from future travels, but its mark sits upon my brow.
I am saddened at how poorly our President has handled this event. I am saddened by the association of this event with the Muslim religion, with millions of believers find the action abhorrent yet finding themselves lumped in with the perpetrators. I am proud of the Americans who were entangled in the event, their courage moves me. I am frightened for the mob mentality of the country and its eagerness to surrender its freedom for a false sense of safety.
I speak in "our" terms now as my wife and I began a life together with a trip to New Zealand and the experience of the Kiwi hospitality was wonderful. We hope to do many more trips out into the vast world.
Looking to complete the right of passage of visiting every state in the union. So close yet so far...
Trinity just had her FOURTH birthday! I just hope she has the opportunity in her lifetime to travel as I have.
Traveling just got 100% harder :(
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Subic Hotels
- Quezon City Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- Coron Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- Broad Ripple Hotels
- Portland Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Kuching Hotels
- Abu Dhabi Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 65 Reviews
- 217 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Privacy Settings"
- toddecus and NeverGrowOld are now friends.
- Commented on toddecus's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Technology Traveler"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Technology Traveler"
- Commented on the Tucson travel guide
- Wrote a Review Ok hotel but not all that near LAX in Hawthorne Hotels
- created a Hollywood Travel Page "Where to stay in Hollywood Florida"
- Uploaded a Video to Hollywood
PhotosSee All Photos (217)
VideosSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Tucson Intro, 19 reviews, 59 photos
- El Segundo Intro, 7 reviews, 36 photos
- Hollywood Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Chandler 5 reviews, 16 photos
- San Francisco 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Newton 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Dedham 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Miami Beach Intro, 1 review, 9 photos
- Dubai Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Oro Valley 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22461 Reviews - 54973 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23317 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Prampram Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos