"Just Go!" marybrigid's Profile

Just Buy the Ticket!

Just buy the ticket and the rest falls into place. I have travelled the world since I was nineteen years old. I like to take a "big" trip at least once a year. Have been known to do four overseas trips in ten months. I am sixty years old and retired. I really like to travel by myself, so that I can "please myself". South America is the only continent I haven't visited.

2009

In the past year I have had two trips to New Zealand to visit family and another trip to U.K. and Paris. This trip was for the usual 6 weeks. Again I stayed down in Rye, East Sussex. Using this place as a base I then visited Manchester, York, Cambridge, Ely, Bath, Chester and London. These were all day trips. Also spent a few days away in Cardiff and Truro. Staying so close to Ashford Intl. station (3 stops away), it is very easy to pick up the Eurostar to Paris etc without going to London. Also found out that it is not totally necessary to buy a BritRail Pass before leaving home. One can be bought at Visit Britain Travel Shop, 1 Regent Street, London. These passes are worth their weight in gold! I paid 450GBP for a 15 day pass (to be used over 2 months) and had over 1000GBP in travel! The value comes in when you don't have to wait until after 9.30 am to get cheap train tickets on mainline trains. I also used an oyster card in London for tube & buses. Will probably go back to Rye in 2010. The small town was one of the original Cinque Ports and has a fabulous history. My accommodation would have to be the best value for money in the UK. Am off to Germany and Poland for Christmas. I believe the Christmas Markets are fantastic.

2010

Christmas markets in Germany were great. So was the sausage and gluwein. Had a 9 day Insight Tour from Frankfurt to Frankfurt , then hired a car and spent 3 days in the Stutgartt area. Christmas Eve I flew to Kracow for a few days. Stayed in the old town this time which is much better than the modern area. The weather was exceptionally cold. Some days were -20C.
Taking a coach trip from Vienna - Istanbul in June and then on to the UK for 5 weeks. As usual staying in Rye at my home away from home. Have already purchased the BritRail pass. Never go to the UK without it!

2010 - June - Aug

Started my trip with a coach trip from Vienna to Istanbul. Vienna was the usual Vienna (have been there a few times before). Croatia had very picturesque scenery. Dubrovnik was fantastic. Albania and Macedonia have a long way to go in the tourist industry, but they are working on it. Istanbul was fabulous! Have got to go back there. Went on to the UK and stayed in Rye as usual. I got back into the town life there in about 12 hours. Now the fast trains from Ashford International to London St Pancras are operating I can get up to London in under an hour from Rye. Please note that BritRail passes are valid on this route. I spent quite a bit of time out in the Cotswolds and up in Shropshire this time. Am already booked for 2011. This will be 12 weeks in UK (odd side trip to Europe) and a week in Auckland, New Zealand.

2011 April, May, June

2011 has been a great year for travelling! As usual I checked into my usual "home" in Rye. (Not going 2012 because of the Olympics.) The town and the people never change from one year to the next. As usual I had my BritRail pass and used it thoroughly. I spent approx. 1000 GBP on the ticket and got about 3000 GBP in value. As usual I visited friends in York and Manchester. Also visited Liverpool, Glasgow, Cambridge, Battle, Dover, Peterborough, Crewe, Hereford, Salisbury (Old Sarum), Lincoln, Birmingham, Gloucester, Chichester, Northampton, Nantwich and Llangollen. (Probably more.) The highlight was the narrowboat trip from Nantwich to Llangollen over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. Just magic. Only 4 passengers and we had a great time. Took quite a few London Walks and as usual great value for money. Also did the usual things like the ballet, concerts and the theatre. Next year I hope to go back to the USA and take a mediterranean cruise.

2012 April, May

Started out in New Orleans during a music festival in the French Quarter. Bands on every corner, day and night. Checked into my hotel in the FQ at 2am. Have never had a night manager sing to me whilst doing the paperwork before. Took Amtrak from New Orleans to Chicago. Well looked after on the train. Chicago was cold and windy as expected. Great art gallery. A walkable city. Went on to New York on Amtrak. Spent a whole day in the Met. Museum of Art. Saw the American wing for the first time. Also went to the Ballet Gran Prix at the Lincoln Centre. Walked the Brooklyn bridge for the first time too. Did all the usual things one does when in NY. I never get tired of it! Next stop was Barcelona for 6 days. Love the place. Another walkable city. Boarded the Serenade of the Seas for 12 day cruise to Ephesus via Canne, Florence, Rome, Athens, Santorini, Naples and back to Barcelona. Spain and Greece are not in good financial shape just now. It's back to UK for 2013 with maybe a side trip to Holland and/or Ireland.

2013 April, May, June, July, August

Spent 15 weeks in the UK this year. As usual I made my base "At Wisteria Corner" in Rye, East Sussex. Monika and Mike looked after me brilliantly. I travelled around on a BritRail pass and got more than value for money. Really enjoyed 5 days in Cornwall. Climbed St. Michael's Mount and visited the Minnack Theatre at Portcurno. Went to 100th Chelsea Flower Show which was excellent despite the weather! Also had a ticket to the Coronation Festival at Buckingham Palace. Was able to get tickets to 8 theatre productions and one symphony concert. Just before I came home I went to the Edinburgh Tattoo and the Fringe Festival. Finally able to visit Sterling Castle, have been trying to get there for years! I think the highlight of this trip was Lindisfarne or Holy Island. Stayed in Berwick-Upon-Tweed and took a bus to the Island. Berwick is not the easiest place to get a meal on a Sunday! Whilst up that way I also dropped into Durham Cathedral where the Lindisfarne Gospels were on display. Usually they are in the British Library in London. I think I have finally finished my "to do" list in the UK. It has only taken me 8 years! Next year I'm taking a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam and then a short "catch up" break in Rye with friends. Between now and then I will have to visit family in New Zealand.

• Intro Updated Sep 18, 2013

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
marybrigid's Profile Photo

marybrigid

“Just go!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.