"Two Summer trips to South Island, New Zealand" Top 5 Page for this destination South Island by amandajayne81

South Island Travel Guide: 6,012 reviews and 16,124 photos

Fly drive holiday of New Zealand

My fiance and I had a lovely relaxing holiday in the South Island of New Zealand in early January. He liked the fact that it is a very short 3-4 hour flight from Australia to New Zealand. Neither of us had been to the South Island before but had been given lots of advice from many friends who had been. We were surprised at how dry everything was. We were initially expecting the bright green I remembered from 10 years ago in the North Island.

I thought I better give a quick overline of our itinerary.

1st night - Christchurch

(4 hours on the train and about 3 hours driving)

2nd and 3rd - Fox Glacier

BIG day of Driving here. Left at 8.45, had stops at Haast and Wanaka as well as quick photo ops and arrived in Queenstown at 3.30pm.

4th-7th night - Queenstown

3 hours of straight driving

8th and 9th - Dunedin

5 hours of driving but had stops at the Moeraki Boulders and Timaru

10th - 12th - Lake Tekapo

Just under 3 hours with several brief stops

Last night - Christchurch

Trip Number 2

The plan was to use up some of our air points on this trip so as to make it a relatively cheap one. We brought a couple of family members along to show off a few of the places we loved along with visiting some new destinations including, Westport on the West Coast, Te Anau, Milford Sound and Invercargill.

• Pros:Close, Easy going holiday with Stunning Scenery
  • Cons:The NZ/Aus rivalry and the lack of cheap shopping!
  • In a nutshell:The gorgeous scenery is worth the trip in itself
  • Last visit to South Island: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2011

• 2Cities1Love's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Hi Amanda,we look forward to seeing you at the Qld meet in 2012. I loved the South Island and really want to take my b/f there as he has only been to the North Island. Cheers Sue & Andy.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Nice page!After all my driving around Europe etc I still think its one of the top beauty spots in the world!and feel so blessed that its home to go back to...lovely that youve had 2 nice trips around the Sth Is.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Finally got around to taking a look at some of your NZ pages. Hope I one day get to go.

• penumbra's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Beautiful scenery. If you enjoyed the South Island, you’d probably like Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper in the mountains of our national park west of Calgary.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Love the photos of the mountains and glaciers. Years ago I planned a trip to NZ, but have yet to go. Thanks for the preview of my future journey!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM

You have presented a very nice green area with open range. It is close for you to enjoy your large country and hop over to NZ also. Great job.

amandajayne81

“See See See”

Badges & Stats in South Island

Have you been to South Island?

Latest Activity in South Island