"Two Summer trips to South Island, New Zealand" Top 5 Page for this destination South Island by amandajayne81
South Island Travel Guide: 5,991 reviews and 15,979 photos
My fiance and I had a lovely relaxing holiday in the South Island of New Zealand in early January. He liked the fact that it is a very short 3-4 hour flight from Australia to New Zealand. Neither of us had been to the South Island before but had been given lots of advice from many friends who had been. We were surprised at how dry everything was. We were initially expecting the bright green I remembered from 10 years ago in the North Island.
I thought I better give a quick overline of our itinerary.
1st night - Christchurch
(4 hours on the train and about 3 hours driving)
2nd and 3rd - Fox Glacier
BIG day of Driving here. Left at 8.45, had stops at Haast and Wanaka as well as quick photo ops and arrived in Queenstown at 3.30pm.
4th-7th night - Queenstown
3 hours of straight driving
8th and 9th - Dunedin
5 hours of driving but had stops at the Moeraki Boulders and Timaru
10th - 12th - Lake Tekapo
Just under 3 hours with several brief stops
Last night - Christchurch
The plan was to use up some of our air points on this trip so as to make it a relatively cheap one. We brought a couple of family members along to show off a few of the places we loved along with visiting some new destinations including, Westport on the West Coast, Te Anau, Milford Sound and Invercargill.
- Pros:Close, Easy going holiday with Stunning Scenery
- Cons:The NZ/Aus rivalry and the lack of cheap shopping!
- In a nutshell:The gorgeous scenery is worth the trip in itself
WOW! This place had a fantastic view over the ocean. It was the ultimate place to have a relaxing few days and we were... more travel advice
We didn't tour the castle (don't regret not doing the tour) so I have just taken the info below off the... more travel advice
- Don't come here to shop
- See All Franz and Fox Glacier
- See All Travel Maps and Advice
amandajayne81's Related Pages
South Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fabulous scenery, the friendliest people"
- "Two Summer trips to South Island, New Zealand"
- "New Zealand - South Island"
- "The South Island"
- "The driest, hottest, wettest and coldest places"
- "South Island, New Zealand"
- "New Zealand's South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Island
- Hotels in South Island
- Transportation in South Island
- Nightlife in South Island
- Restaurants in South Island
- Shopping in South Island
- Warnings and Dangers in South Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in South Island
- 35 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to South Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Island Intro, 33 reviews, 31 photos
- England Intro, 31 reviews, 21 photos
- Ireland Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Wales Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bribie Island Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Ireland Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Stanthorpe Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Province of Alberta Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yamba Intro, 11 reviews, 6 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Top South Island hotels
- Queenstown Hotels
- 641 Reviews - 1706 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1245 Reviews - 2615 Photos
- Kaikoura Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 681 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 340 Reviews - 803 Photos
- Oamaru Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Te Anau Hotels
- 109 Reviews - 317 Photos
- Picton Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 193 Photos
- Nelson Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 182 Photos
- Invercargill Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Timaru Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 140 Photos
- Cashmere Hills Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Franz Josef Glacier Hotels
- 127 Reviews - 397 Photos
- Hokitika Hotels
- 76 Reviews - 198 Photos
- Akaroa Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 595 Photos
- Cromwell Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 53 Photos