"Amanda's Travels" amandajayne81's Profile

Life in a small town

Hi I live in a small country town in Queensland Australia which has a strong tourism flavour. I was born here and have lived here for all of my life apart from when I went to uni and also when I spent time in NZ.

All my life I have wanted to travel but for various reasons I have only recently been able to start some adventures.

This is what I see out my back door!

As Australians we often get asked whether kangaroos and wallabies are found bounding down our main streets. The answer is generally not in the middle of towns even as small as mine and definitely NOT in the big cities. However they are around. Unfortunately tourists tend to see more as road kill than alive. I have spent hundreds of dollars on my cars after unfortunate incidents which usually involve the roo bounding happily off after what it considers a minor prang.

Mind you this chap was quite happily alive and enjoying the sun this day. Pretty awesome animals even though I have seen them all my life. They are however a bit of a pest to farmers. Like many other animals modern agriculture and life in general has upset their natural way of being. Out in the west we have massive bores (water supplies) and planted areas which have allowed the roos to breed up into massive numbers. People often think it cruel that we kill (and some people even eat!) our national symbol. All I ask is that people try to see it from everyone's point of view before passing too much judgement on 'us Aussies'.

Sorry the pic is so small there is a roo right in the centre. I don't know how to make the photo any bigger. Sad.

And this is out the front

Another animal shot - this little chap was having a sunbake out in the front garden. Refused to get out of my photos so I made him the subject.

I love living in a rural area with all the animals that come and go. Like most females I love my shopping both here and in my travels but ideally I would like to see places that have more animals and grass than shopping centres and carparks.

• Intro Updated Jun 14, 2008

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!