"A City of Striking Contrasts" Manila by asiantraveler
Manila Travel Guide: 2,173 reviews and 5,421 photos
Antiquated churches, steel and glass skyscrapers
Horse drawn carriages, jeepney's and cars
Mansions of the rich, shanties in the riverbanks
Devout catholics, a crazy night life
Age old traditions, modern day attractions
Catholic Schools, prostitute filipinas
Polluted and dirty, the most beautiful sunset
It's everything good and bad, what a great city!
On May 8 1570, a spanish expedition to manila left panay island (phils) under the command of Marshal Martin de Goiti. The expedition was consisted of 120 spaniards and 600 visayans. At that time, Manila was a rich moslem kingdom under Rajah Soliman and a civilized outpost of Islam. Soliman refusing to submit to foreign domination, defended his Kingdom against spanish invasion. The following year, a stronger expedition under Legaspi`s personal command appeared in Manila Bay. Realizing the futility of resistance to a superior foe, Lakan Dula of Tondo (Soliman's uncle) persuaded Soliman to accept spanish rule. Thus, Manila fell into spanish hand without a fight. On June 1571, Legaspi proclaimed Manila as the capital of the Philippines. He rebuilt it into a spanish city. King Philip II granted the new city a proud coat-of-arms and a charming name- insigne y siempre leal ciudad ( Distinguised and ever loyal city) The Filipino name however persisted. Until the present time, the city has been called Manila, from the native term maynilad meaning place where there is nilad- nilad is the name of the kind of plant that used to grow abundantly in the manila region.
Manila is the capital city of the Philippines. But we Filipinos call Manila "The City of Our Affections." This phrase is taken from an old Spanish writing; but it also expresses a modern sentiment. Manila is an old city, may be older than historians can determine. Perhaps having been around for a long time give its "Poise and Grandeur."
- Pros:lively, world class malls
- Cons:pollution, traffic and big gap between rich and poor
- In a nutshell:melting pot, shopper's paradise
amazing live band, cock tail drinks, party people... more travel advice
asiantraveler's Related Pages
Manila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Manila!"
- "Manila, love or hate"
- "Capital of the Philippines"
- "Aliwan Fiesta 2011: Ilonggo's Pride and Victory"
- "Love It Or Leave It..."
- "Capital City of the Philippines"
- "IMPREXXION: MANILA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manila
- Hotels in Manila
- Transportation in Manila
- Nightlife in Manila
- Restaurants in Manila
- Shopping in Manila
- Warnings and Dangers in Manila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manila
- 14 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Manila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manila
Photos in ManilaSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Manila Intro, 14 reviews, 70 photos, 6 travelogues
- Marikina Intro, 9 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laiya Intro, 4 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos
- Province of Iloilo Intro, 2 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Province of Batangas Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Makati Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 1 review, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bacolod City Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos