Maryland Off The Beaten Path Tips by kathycollins
Maryland Off The Beaten Path: 45 reviews and 68 photos
The third place to visit in this area is the National Wildlife Visitor Center at Patuxent Research Refuge. Exhibits and videos describe the ongoing research that hopes to lead to a better environment for wildlife, and cleaner air and water for us humans. There is also a tram thru the wetlands, visitors pods for viewing wildlife, excellent trails for all to enjoy, and a prime location for watching migratory birds - all within a few miles of the cities of Washington and Baltimore.
Another unique place to explore is theUS Dept of Agriculture's Agriculture Research Service at Beltsville,, Maryland. There is a really terrific log lodge built in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps. If you are in the area you can visit monday thru friday 8am to 4:30pm. If you call (301-504-9403) you can schedule a personal tour of the facility!!
the riding stables at Wheaton Regional park and Brookside gardens
If you take New York Avenue east leaving Washington DC, you come to the Baltimore Washington Parkway follow this towards Baltimore to Powder Mill Road to find 3 great places to see more sites or to rest and relax!
The first is NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. The visitor's center has educational activities for kids, interactive learning centers and exhibits.
The National Capital Area Park Commission oversees lots of public parks. This one, Brookside Gardens and Nature Center in the Wheaton Regional Park, in Montgomery County has a wonderful garden, lots of walking paths, a riding stable, and lots of other attractions - not bad for a neighborhood park!
See the wild ponies on Assateague Island. The state park has camping at the beach. It is a unique experience to be sitting in a beach chair and watching the horses walk by! Please remember, however, that these are WILD animals - they bite and kick! I might also point out that having the horses share the beach definitely increases the number of flys and other bugs -bring insect repellent!
The Baltimore Conservatory and Botanic Gardens feature this 1888 Palm House. Baltimore's parks and gardens are often overlooked but are truly beautiful. The Conservatory is located at Druid Hill Park.
Edgar Allen Poe's house and his gravesite in Baltimore are great to visit, especially on Halloween!
More Reviews (16)
kathycollins' Related Pages
Maryland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob's cumulative Maryland adventures"
- "From the Ocean to the Bay to the Mountains"
- "Welcome to Maryland"
- "MARYLAND, NORTH - SOUTH GATEWAY"
- "Welcome to MARYLAND"
- "Remembrance of Our Civil War"
- "frankcanfly's Maryland Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maryland
- Hotels in Maryland
- Transportation in Maryland
- Nightlife in Maryland
- Restaurants in Maryland
- Shopping in Maryland
- Warnings and Dangers in Maryland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Polonnaruwa Hotels
- Curridabat Hotels
- Batu Pahat
- Future City Hotels
- Steamboat Springs Hotels
- Santa Barbara Off The Beaten Path
- Belize Off The Beaten Path
- Michigan Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Denver Off The Beaten Path
- Vietnam Off The Beaten Path
- Orlando Off The Beaten Path
- Bangalore Off The Beaten Path
- Florida Keys Off The Beaten Path
- Oregon Off The Beaten Path
- Sitges Off The Beaten Path
- Rangoon Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Maryland
- 34 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Maryland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maryland
- Posted in Travel London Forum "London - second week in December..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "I guess by now you know I love..."
- Wrote a Review The Rusty Skupper and Phillips... in Maryland Restaurants
- created a Maryland Travel Page "kathy's Maryland Page"
- Commented on one of JudyinPA's Maryland travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 86 photos, 6 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 49 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 38 reviews, 37 photos
- Belfast Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- England Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- County Donegal Intro, 11 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Netherlands Antilles Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Norte Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aruba Intro, 9 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Top Maryland hotels
- Ocean City Hotels
- 149 Reviews - 196 Photos
- Baltimore Hotels
- 1184 Reviews - 3354 Photos
- Rockville Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Saint Michaels Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 115 Photos
- Towson Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 114 Photos
- Bethesda Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Annapolis Hotels
- 223 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Laurel Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Largo Hotels
- 1 Review - 5 Photos
- Calvert Cliffs State Park Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Grasonville Hotels
- 6 Hotels
- Linthicum Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 41 Photos
- Hunt Valley Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Salisbury Hotels
- 4 Reviews