"A MIND FOR TRAVEL, A HEART FOR YORKSHIRE" averageyorkshirejoe's Profile

ORIGINS

I am originally from Rotherham in sunny south yorkshire, not the prettiest place on earth (being described in one book as looking like an english chernobyl due to its steel and coal past-which is a little harsh!) but its possibly one of the friendliest where the people will do owt for you and stangers still chat to each other at bus stops without fear of being labelled a looney/or being attacked. Unfortunatley rotherham is more famous right now for its appalling attitude to food as demonstrated by the parents who shoved burgers and chips through the school fence when it announced it was only doing healthy school dinners- this is about right as when i go to my nans she still has cans of spam and beef dripping in the fridge bless her !! Traditional, local, no-nonesense and set in its ways - the reasons i love it are the reasons i always knew would spur me to leave and gave me the itchy feet to travel and learn about new places and cultures

WHERE I'VE LANDED

I now live in the beautiful city of York where i stayed after university. It is small enough to feel safe yet big enough to not get bored. It caters well for the two things that keep me happy after travelling - film (a very good independant cinema) and food (tonnes of restaurants from thai to turkish!). I like the fact that its rich in culture and history and you can't turn a corner without being reminded of the past and that you are only a small part of the equation, a bit like the humbling process of looking up at the stars!

TRAVEL MENTALITY

So my heart belongs in yorkshire but i think i will always have the urge to seek out new places - my husband despairs at my inabilty to take the straight route to anywhere and says if there's an alleyway i'll be off down it buts thats all part of the fun if you ask me as you stumble upon the best things when you're not looking for them. I guess this sums up my travel mentality!
As I said before I also love my food and film and in picking out destinations these always play a part, so if my tips seem foodie orientated or i usually compare a place to which film it reminds me of i do apologise!

• Intro Updated Oct 24, 2008

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2008 at 6:25 AM

Lovely homepage. I agree that living in York must be absolutely gorgeous with all that history around. Looking forward to your York page.:)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!