"Namibia, not densely populated" Namibia by georeiser
Namibia Travel Guide: 2,271 reviews and 6,842 photos
Namibia is a country in South-west Africa with border to the Atlantic Ocean. It has it's name from the Namib Desert. Namibia has a population of 1,8 mill people. It's the least densely populated country in the world after Mongolia (2.5 inhabitants per square kilometre). Few people gives large space for the wild animals. Baboons were sitting in the roadside ditch from the airport to the city and a lot of deers are close to Windhoek.
Namibia was inhabited early by African tribes, but became a German protectorate in 1884. The country was mandated to South-Africa in 1920 and gained independence on 21 March 1990. The country is mostly a dry desertland.
Visa: No visa. Free entry. But many questions by the border police.
Mobil phone: Good roaming.
ATM: Many ATM's, but some banks didn't take my visa card. Nedbank did. Gives normal rate.
Recommended language: English.
Infrastructure: Good around Windhoek. OK in Caprivo.
Friendliness by the people: Friendly in Caprivo, but not in Windhoek.
Attention by Police/military: No bad experience other than too many harsh questions by the border police.
Crime: Safe in the daytime. Locals say it is more dangerous at night.
Rainy period:: Very dry country.
Price level: More expensive in Windhoek than usual, same as Europe. A little bit cheaper in Caprivo. All tourist activities are very expensive. Prices are set by the Namibian tourist board.
Airport departure tax: N/A.
Major cities in Namibia:
Walvis Bay (sea port)
Oshakati (in the north)
Otjiwarongo (in the Central-North)
Lüderitz (sea port)
Gobabis (farming centre)
My Windhoek page
My Caprivi page
My Katima Mulilo page
Namibia borders with Angola to the north, Botswana to the west, and South Africa to the south. The tiny strip of land in the caprivo region borders to Zambia to the north, and tiny bit of Zimbabwe to the east.
For those of you who wants to travel in the countryside in Namibia, try accomodations run by the organisation NACOBTA... more travel advice
The south African company "Intercape" have buslines through the south western part of Africa. One of the buslines goes... more travel advice
georeiser's Related Pages
Namibia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Extreme World"
- "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
- "SAND, SUN AND SKYDIVING !!!!!"
- "Namibia - the dry paradise"
- "Namibian Safari"
- "Namibia - my introduction to Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namibia
- Hotels in Namibia
- Transportation in Namibia
- Nightlife in Namibia
- Restaurants in Namibia
- Shopping in Namibia
- Warnings and Dangers in Namibia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Namibia
- 104 Reviews
- 337 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Namibia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namibia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues