"Zanzibar" Zanzibar Town by georeiser
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 643 photos
Zanzibar is an island outside the coast of the mainland Tanzania. It can be reached with a boat from Dar es Saalam, and it takes 2-3 hours. But the island has also an airport. It takes 15 minutes from Dar es Salam.
Islam is the dominant religion, and practiced by most Zanzibaris, although there are also followers of Christianity and Hinduism. Population is estimated at 900,000, with the largest concentration in Zanzibar City (Stonetown) which has approximately 100,000 inhabitants. Zanzibaris speak Swahili (known locally as Kiswahili), a language which is spoken extensively in East Africa. Zanzibar's main industries are spices, raffia, and of course tourism.
Zanzibar is famous for the brilliant white beaches. But it's only on the east coast of the island. The western coast, and Stonetown included, is not so nice.
Approaching Stonetown with a ferry is an ordinary view on long distance. But when you are closer, you can see the typical buildings in Stonetown. It's quiote picturesque. The harbour is right in the middle of Stonetown.
The total area of Zanzibar is 1,651 km². The airport is located 15 minutes drive from Stonetown. There are more than 25 fantastic beaches in Zanzibar. Most of them are peaceful and remote. The south-eastern part of the island is known to have the best beaches.
Make sure to agree the price before you you enter the Taxi. It's also recommended to book the taxi the day before you... more travel advice
The harbour and the waterfront area in Stonetown is a place where people meet eachother. Some of the most interesting... more travel advice
georeiser's Related Pages
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STONE TOWN"
- "Zanzibar Town"
- "You have to visit Stone Town"
- "Mji Mkongwe"
- "The Stone Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zanzibar Town
- Hotels in Zanzibar Town
- Transportation in Zanzibar Town
- Nightlife in Zanzibar Town
- Restaurants in Zanzibar Town
- Shopping in Zanzibar Town
- Warnings and Dangers in Zanzibar Town
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Town
- 15 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Zanzibar Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zanzibar Town
Photos in Zanzibar TownSee All Photos (64)
Videos in Zanzibar TownSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues