"Backpacking in MAPUTO" Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo by georeiser
Maputo Travel Guide: 333 reviews and 959 photos
Maputo is the largest city and capital of Mozambique. It has an official population of approximately 1,5 mill. people, but is estimated to be much higher because of the slums and other settlements around the city.
Maputo is like Lisbon with an upper and a lower area. When you see the city on distance it looks like a big, modern city. The skyline looks great with the harbour and the buildings behind. The avenues are wide with old Jacaranda trees, and you can walk in quiet parks. But when you get closer and walk through the streets, you can see the dilapidated buildings, streets with holes and garbage on the pavements.
Million dollar mansions overlook the sea while massive slums ring the city. Dilapidated concrete buildings from the communist era stand next to beautiful Portuguese colonialist villas. There are few tourists or white people in the city, and begging is almost non-existent. The streetlife is active with street traders and markets.
The real African life starts where the concrete buildings ends. Densely populated areas without asphalt paving are just outside the city centre. Take a taxi or a chapa, and visit the suburban areas like T3, C4, Cella-D, Cella-F. (Those places in Maputo are called by numbers and not names). Burning barrels outside cafes replace lights in the nights. The locals looks at you and smile. Explore this exciting African atmosphere.
Maputo is also a city with beaches. A visit to Catembe beach or Mira Mar beach is a must. (see photos, videos and tips)
Maputo city was known as Lourenco Marques before 1975.
A Google Earth map of Maputo. Some places in my Virtualtourist tip are marked in this map. Like Catembe beach, Mira Mar beach, the ferryport, Maputo Fort, Miradouro, Carocol road, Maputo Cathedral, the train station, Hotel Escola Andalucia and the main avenues in the city.
Mercado do Pau, also called Bazar Artesanato (The Saturday Market). This is located in the Baixa (lower part of the city).
T3 is a suburban area in Maputo and is usually not visited by foreigners. The night life in the dusty streets of T3 are... more travel advice
The local people lives in harmony with the nature. You can see shepherd boys walking along the road with their goats and... more travel advice
- See All Mozambique is a oligarchy
- See All Avenida 24 de Julho
- See All Sunglases, wallets, watches, etc.
- See All Basketball is popular in Maputo
georeiser's Related Pages
Maputo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- "NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT"
- "The tide of changes"
- "Maputo...and lobster feast!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maputo
- Hotels in Maputo
- Transportation in Maputo
- Nightlife in Maputo
- Restaurants in Maputo
- Shopping in Maputo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maputo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maputo
- 80 Reviews
- 351 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Maputo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maputo
- updated a Maputo Travel Page "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- Posted in Travel Oslo Forum "Re: Gas for backpackers in Oslo..."
- Commented on one of georeiser's Maputo travel pages
- Wrote a Review Mozambique is a oligarchy in Maputo Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Misc. photos from Maputo"
- Uploaded a Video to Maputo
Photos in MaputoSee All Photos (351)
Videos in MaputoSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues