Cape Maclear Things to Do Tips by georeiser
Cape Maclear Things to Do: 10 reviews and 25 photos
Lake Malawi National Park
Lake Malawi National Park is located a little bit further south west in the peninsula, not far from Cape Maclear. It's a freshwater national park with tropical fish.
The park is a World Heritage Site, and includes a land area around the cape and up to 100 metres off shore. You have to pay to get in.
Address: Cape Maclear, Malawi
Thumbe island, Cape Maclear
Thumbe (or Thumbi) island is one km from Cape Maclear beach (see picture). I had the pleasure to paddle with a macaro (dugout canoe) to this island. There are mostly rocky shores and the vegetation is overgrown. Nothing to do there.
In the streets of Cape Maclear
Cape Maclear and Chembe village is a community with almost 13000 inhabitants. It looks much smaller due to the basic infrastructure. The main road is a dusty gravel road.
Cape Maclear beach, Malawi
The beach of Cape Maclear is on the north-western tip of the penisula. The water is calm here compared to other places at the lake. You can easily see the western side of the lake from Cape Maclear. The nortern side is just water as far as you can see. But "Domwe island" cover the view to the north.
Cape Maclear looks like a real beach resort, althought it's a lake. The long, sandy beach is beautiful. There are resorts and bamboo huts directly on the beach. The locals are apparently living in harmony with the tourists. They are doing their daily routines, wash their clothes, make food and have their small dugout canoes and fishingsboats right beside the tourists. Small children plays around on the beach. The African people are musical people. Especially in the morning you can hear the women sing when they are washing clothes. It gives a genuine African feeling. The evenings are also like this when the locals gather on the beach. Sitting on a chair and watch the sunset is really nice. It is understandable that backbackers have had Cape Maclear as one of their hidden gems.
When you have a closer look, you find out that it isn't too nice to take a bath in the same water as people wash their clothes and washing-up after dinner. Some places of the beach has a bad smell. And it doesn't make it better to know that calm freshwater in Africa normally carries the parasite which cause the disease "bilharzia".
Sunset at Cape Maclear, Malawi
Cape Maclear is on the north-western tip of the peninsula, and the sunset is right in front of the beach. Sitting on a chair and watch the sunset is really nice. It is understandable that backbackers have had Cape Maclear as one of their hidden gems.
More Reviews (43)
- See All Cape Maclear is warm
- See All Cape Maclear is no "food paradise"
- Gecko Lodge
- See All Fishermen in Lake Malawi
- Walking through Chembe village
georeiser's Related Pages
Cape Maclear Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cape MacLear"
- "Backpacking in Cape Maclear"
- "crystal clear"
- "Cape Maclear"
- "The Warm Heart Of Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Maclear
- Hotels in Cape Maclear
- Transportation in Cape Maclear
- Nightlife in Cape Maclear
- Restaurants in Cape Maclear
- Shopping in Cape Maclear
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Maclear
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- Savannah Things to Do
- Bacolod City Things to Do
- Windsor Things to Do
- Mystic Things to Do
- Coron Things to Do
- Kennebunkport Things to Do
- Paris Things to Do
- Eureka Springs Things to Do
- Bourbon Street
- Mellieha Things to Do
- Hollywood Things to Do
- Medan Things to Do
- Strasbourg Things to Do
- Pennsylvania Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Cape Maclear
- 48 Reviews
- 207 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Cape Maclear?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Maclear
Photos in Cape MaclearSee All Photos (207)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues