Lilongwe Favorite Tips by georeiser
Lilongwe Favorites: 5 reviews and 13 photos
ATM in Lilongwe, Malawi
Favorite thing: My experience was that 50 USD notes is the best. 20 USD notes gives a lower rate and 100 USD notes creates some suspiciousness regarding fake money.
Fondest memory: There are several ATM's in Lilongwe. Most of them take VISA. Mastercard is however not that easy. I didn't find it, but according to other websites it is a ATM for Mastercards at Lilongwe Airport. ATM has a daily limit of 20,000 MWK, which is 140 USD at official rate. Note that there is a black market of money changing in Malawi. You will get the lousy 15% lower rate at ATM's compared to the streets.
Fondest memory: Lilongwe is the commercial center and capital of Malawi with a population of 900,000 people. It lies in the central region, on the Lilongwe river. The town is marked by signs of colonial settlers. There are two distinct parts of the city. The Old Town, which is the original part of the city and features busy African markets, many Asian shops, hotels and restaurants. And the New Town, which is less than 20 years old and hosts the Government Buildings, Diplomatic Missions, International Aid Agencies, etc. There are some new shopping areas, hypermarkets, hotels and restaurants.
The streets of Lilongwe old town
Fondest memory: Lilongwe is diveded in an old town and a new town. It's a city with both gravel roads and bitumen roads. Houses in the the city is mixed from dilapidated houses with flat corrugated roof and modern concrete buildings. The pavements are in use for street sellers.
Outlet shape of plugs in Malawi
Fondest memory: Electricity in Malawi is 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. See photo of the outlet shape of the plug.
More Reviews (23)
- Lilongwe is warm
- Crime in Lilongwe
- See All Long distance buses
- See All Massage in Lilongwe
georeiser's Related Pages
Lilongwe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lilongwe - Malawi Gold"
- "Nice Place Nice People"
- "The 'transit' zone!"
- "Malawi's capital"
- "Friendly city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lilongwe
- Hotels in Lilongwe
- Transportation in Lilongwe
- Nightlife in Lilongwe
- Restaurants in Lilongwe
- Warnings and Dangers in Lilongwe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lilongwe
- 27 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Lilongwe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lilongwe
Photos in LilongweSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues