Addis Ababa Warnings Or Dangers Tips by georeiser Top 5 Page for this destination
Addis Ababa Warnings and Dangers: 20 reviews and 23 photos
Hole in the streets in Addis Ababa
The streets and pavements in the centre of Addis Ababa are dilapidated, and big holes are usual. Be careful where you put your feet.
Addis Ababa is a safe place to be for tourists. I had no problems walking around in the streets there. Even in the night. The locals say Mercato is dangerous, but I felt safe there. No attempt of pick pockets.
Generally the local people were polite against me. I had only one incident when some guys tried to fool me into a fake culture show. It happened in a backstreet close to Bole road.
You may have been warned against the police in Africa. Their low salary makes it easier to be corrupt and take advantage of the tourists.
BUT the Ethiopian police are different. They may look dangerous with their Kalashnikov guns, but they are polite and willing to help if you got problems. And they don't steel from tourists.
Bomb blast in Addis, May 20, 2008
Ethiopia has been in war with Eritrea for more than 30 years. The reason is territory claim and independence for Eritrea. There are still some clashes between the countries, even if they have signed a peace treaty.
It's hard to say if the former war was the reason for the bomb blast in front of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on May 20, 2008 in Addis Ababa. Three people were killed and four wounded when a bomb exploded. The photo is the wreckage of the minibus hit by the bomb.
Tej, Honey wine
Ufortunately there are scams against tourists i Addis Ababa. Avoid strangers who want to show you other places. In some cases it could be an attempt to fool you into something.
The classic scam are strangers who want to take you to a "traditional show". You will follow the person into a place or a privat club. You will eat and drink, and maybe stand treat for drinks to your "new friends". They usually drink some kind of wine made by honey. I think they call it "Tej". Even if it is homemade, they will argue that it is imported and charge you 200 Birr a bottle. Imagine the bill you have to pay when you shall leave :-(
More Reviews (49)
- See All Shopping in sidestreets and walking...
- See All Yekatit 12 Statue
- See All Shoeshine workers
- See All Stockholm Bar and Restaurant
- See All Old Lada taxis
georeiser's Related Pages
Addis Ababa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ADDIS - THE NEW FLOWER OF ETHIOPIA"
- "I love cities with meaningful names"
- "Addis Ababa, Ethiopia"
- "Addis Ababa: A City of Belief & Disbelief"
- "Addis Ababa"
- "ADDIS ABABA - not so 'new' flower"
- ""The New Flower" Addis Ababa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Addis Ababa
- Hotels in Addis Ababa
- Transportation in Addis Ababa
- Nightlife in Addis Ababa
- Restaurants in Addis Ababa
- Shopping in Addis Ababa
- Warnings and Dangers in Addis Ababa
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rockville Hotels
- Grove City
- Olympic National Park Hotels
- Morro Bay Hotels
- Ras Tanura Hotels
- James Island
- Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Warnings and Dangers
- Ko Phangan Warnings and Dangers
- Pickpockets, Beggars, Crime and Scams
- Personal Safety
- British Virgin Islands Warnings and Dangers
- Bali Warnings and Dangers
- Leeuwarden Warnings and Dangers
- Street crime
- Petra Warnings and Dangers
- Dar es Salaam Warnings and Dangers
- Eilat Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Addis Ababa
- 54 Reviews
- 222 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Addis Ababa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Addis Ababa
Photos in Addis AbabaSee All Photos (222)
Videos in Addis AbabaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Addis Ababa hotel reviews
- Sheraton Addis
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Dessalegn Hotel
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 27, 2013
- Hilton Addis Ababa
- 266 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hotel Intercontinental
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Ghion Hotel
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Jupiter International Hotel
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Ras Hotel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Taitu Hotel
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Beshale Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Beer Garden Inn
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Queen of Sheba Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Kaleb Hotel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Harmony Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Damu Hotel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2012