"Addis Ababa, Ethiopia" Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa by georeiser
Addis Ababa Travel Guide: 403 reviews and 3,012 photos
My expectation was fulfiled after a visit to the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa. Addis is so exciting and full of contrast. It's cheap to stay there, the city is full of culture and I felt safe. The people are very friendly and gentle. I recommend to make a stop here if you are in Africa. Addis has 4 million people. This photo was taken in a market close to the US embassy.
Addis Ababa means New (addis) Flower (ababa), it was named by Emperor Menilik when he founded the city in 1886.
(Videos from Addis Ababa are included in the page. Click at the "videos tab")
This photo is taken from a building in Mercato, Addis Ababa. The huge area around Mercato is a pitoresque part of the city.
The calls from the minarets happens five times a day to call the faithful Muslims to prayer. The mosques and churches are close to each other. It is strange to see how well the Christians and Muslims get along.
- Arriving at Bole Intl. airport is convenient. It's easy to find what you are looking for. Shortly after you enter the building you find the "visa on arrival" counter. If you have a nationality from a socalled tourist-generating country, just line up in queue. 4-5 officers will issue the tourist visas quickly. Make sure to have your passport and 20 USD ready. For a single entry visa you don't need photos and you don't need to write anything. The visa is valid for 3 months.
- 20 meters away from here you find 2 different exchange bureau (Dashen and Ethiopian Bank). The exchange rate here is the same as it is in the city. Change only USD/Euro to Ethiopian Birr. Other currencies gives a terrible bad rate. Make sure to keep the receipt because you need it when you shall change back the Birr when leaving Ethiopia.
- Shortly after that you line up in the queue for the immigration police. Have your passport and the immigration card ready. If the police ask for the visa receipt, just show him that. They have a webcam for photo.
- Then turn right and walk 30 meters to pick up your checked baggage at the baggage belt.
- The custom officers are in the same hall as the baggage belts. There are no green and red entrance, so the custom officers will ask what you have in the bags. In most case they just smile and let you trough.
- You are now entering the last door and will come into a hall full of people. But it's safe and well organized. Many dealers will ask you for transport to the city. Just look after dealers with registration ID card walking around. Take your time and bargain the price. Normal price is 80-100 Birr. Then follow that person out of the terminal and walk 200 meters to the parking area. The taxis and minibuses are waiting here. There are no taxis waiting right outside the terminal as there is in other airports.
- Pros:Friendly people and an exciting city
- Cons:Polluted and dirty
Piazza in Addis Ababa is an urban place of the city. There are many street stalls and small business along the narrow... more travel advice
Tiglachin Monument was erected in memory of the Ethiopian defense forces who repulsed the Somali army when they invaded... more travel advice
- See All Shoeshine workers
- See All Stockholm Bar and Restaurant
- See All Hole in the streets
- See All Old Lada taxis
- See All Desalegn Hotel No 3
georeiser's Related Pages
Addis Ababa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ADDIS - THE NEW FLOWER OF ETHIOPIA"
- "I love cities with meaningful names"
- "Addis Ababa, Ethiopia"
- "Addis Ababa: A City of Belief & Disbelief"
- "Addis Ababa"
- "ADDIS ABABA - not so 'new' flower"
- ""The New Flower" Addis Ababa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Addis Ababa
- Hotels in Addis Ababa
- Transportation in Addis Ababa
- Nightlife in Addis Ababa
- Restaurants in Addis Ababa
- Shopping in Addis Ababa
- Warnings and Dangers in Addis Ababa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Addis Ababa
- 54 Reviews
- 222 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Addis Ababa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Addis Ababa
- Posted in Travel Oslo Forum "Re: Gas for backpackers in Oslo..."
- Wrote a Review Shopping in sidestreets and walking streets in Addis Ababa Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shopping in sidestreets and walking streets"
- created a Addis Ababa Travelogue "In the streets of Addis Ababa"
- Uploaded a Video to Addis Ababa
Photos in Addis AbabaSee All Photos (222)
Videos in Addis AbabaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues