"Asmara, Eritrea" Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara by georeiser
Asmara Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 477 photos
Asmara is the capital of Africa's most secretive country, Eritrea. The city is located at 2400 meters (7874 feet) on the eastern edge of Eritrea's highland plateau. The name "Asmara" comes from Arbaete Asmara which means in Tigrinya "the four (villages) are united". The population is about 600000 people.
The days are never too hot and the nights can be cold. It was only 8 degrees when I arrived the airport at night, December 27. The usual temperature in December/January is 10-15 degrees at night. About 18-20 degrees in the daytime, and sunny weather.
Safe and clean city
Asmara has clean and picturesque streets. The main street, Harnet avenue, has attractive palm trees. The city has a reputation of beeing one of the safest capitals in Africa. It's a calm and quiet city. In general people get up early in the morning and go to bed early at nights.
Asmara is called "little Rome"
Eritrea was occupied by Italy in 1889 and Asmara became the capital in 1897. In the 1930s, Italian imperial plans for Africa led to a massive rebuilding project in Asmara. Italian architects transformed the place with curved facades and art deco awnings. The city should be a sophisticated modern city in the heart of Africa, and an architectural showcase for Mussolini's Fascist regime. Asmara was called Piccola Roma (Little Rome). Despite all the years of war, Asmara avoided the Ethiopian bombs. The city is almost intact.
(Videos from Asmara are included. Click at the "videos tab")
A view over Asmara city from the roof on Hotel Ambassador in Harnet avenue. To the left is the 52 meter tall tower of Asmara Cathedral.
Beautiful and curious children in Asmara, Eritrea. This photo was taken in the city centre, close to Kidane Meheret, the principal church of Oriental Christian rite.
- Pros:Friendly people and safe to walk around in the streets
- Cons:Cold temperature in the nights
The black market is a big industry in Asmara. Money exhange on the illegal black marked gives twice as good rate than... more travel advice
Downtown Asmara, more photos... more travel advice
- See All Asmara Palace Hotel
- Countryside life in Asmara
- See All Bicycles in Asmara
- See All Vegetables and fruits
- Jogging in Asmara
georeiser's Related Pages
Asmara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Asmara, Eritrea"
- "Asmara: The "Little Rome" of Africa"
- "Lovely Asmara"
- "Asmara - City of Surprises"
- "Asmara - nice people and poor country"
- "eritrea : undiscovered jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asmara
- Hotels in Asmara
- Transportation in Asmara
- Nightlife in Asmara
- Restaurants in Asmara
- Shopping in Asmara
- Warnings and Dangers in Asmara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Asmara
- 76 Reviews
- 384 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Asmara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asmara
Photos in AsmaraSee All Photos (384)
Videos in AsmaraSee All Videos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues