"Republika Srpska, the Serbian state in Bosnia" Republika Srpska by georeiser
Republika Srpska Travel Guide: 435 reviews and 1,289 photos
Republika Srpska is a Bosnian Serb state inside the state of Bosnia and Herzegovina, but it is not a part of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. (see map under...). The goverment in Republika Srpska is based in the city of Banja Luka. The state has a serb majority.
The bus from Sarajevo to Belgrad goes through Republika Srpska. It starts at the east edge of Sarajevo. There were no borderpoints, but two men dressed in suit came on the bus close to the city of Pale, and checked the passport to all the passengers and asked where they should go. The road from Sarajevo went through a mountainius area with many beautiful places.
The Bosnian parliament without the Serbs proclaimed the independence from Yugoslavia on March 6, 1992. The Serbs boycotted all talks about independence since they had previously opted for Bosnia to still be a member of the Yugoslav federation. The Serbs denied the legality of the independence, but the independence was recognized by EU and USA in April 1992. This escalated into the terrible Bosnian war. The Serbs declared severance of governmental ties with Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the name Republika Srpska became a reality on August 12, 1992.
The peace agreement few years later has one annex of recognising Republka Srpska as "one of its two main political-territorial divisions. Republika Srpska is a territorially unified, indivisible and inalienable constitutional and legal entity that shall independently perform its constitutional, legislative, executive and judicial functions".
The town of Višegrad in the Drina Valley, close to the Serbian border
The map of Bosnia and Herzegovinja. Republika Srpska is in blue.
Not too many foreigners know about the state inside the Bosnian federation, and will be surprised to see the the bus... more travel advice
The bus from Sarajevo to Belgrad starts in Lukavica bus station in the Serb-dominated eastern parts of Sarajevo. And... more travel advice
georeiser's Related Pages
Republika Srpska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Smaller Serbian State"
- "As recognized as Turkish Cyprus"
- "Republika Srpska, the Serbian state in Bosnia"
- "Republika Srpska"
- "Rich rewards...."
- "The Cyrillic half of the country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republika Srpska
- Hotels in Republika Srpska
- Transportation in Republika Srpska
- Nightlife in Republika Srpska
- Restaurants in Republika Srpska
- Shopping in Republika Srpska
- Warnings and Dangers in Republika Srpska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republika Srpska
- 6 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Republika Srpska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republika Srpska
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
Top Republika Srpska hotels
- Banja Luka Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 301 Photos
- Bosanska Gradiska Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Bijeljina Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 161 Photos
- Trebinje Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 189 Photos
- Teslic Hotels
- 1 Review - 10 Photos
- Pale Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Modrica Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Laktasi Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Foca Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Jahorina Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 133 Photos