"Traveling across Zambia" Zambia by georeiser
Zambia Travel Guide: 708 reviews and 1,742 photos
Zambia got its independence in 1964 after beeing administered by the British as Northern Rhodesia towards the end of the nineteenth century. The name was changed to Zambia upon independence, and was derived from the Zambezi river which flows through the country. Zambia was governed by a single-party for 27 years, but has been a multiparty democracy since 1991.
The population In Zambia is 13 mill people, and is concentrated around the capital Lusaka and the Copperbelt area. English is the official language, but many other indigenous languages are used. 1 USD is 5000 Zambian kwasa (August 2009)
Mining and copper extraction is important for Zambia's economy. In the absence of own financial strength, the country has entered into agreements with Chinese traders and investors. And they are into the country in a large scope with strong presence in the economy. The copperbelt-area is a Chinese work zone. Low security and resentment towards Zambian workers is widespread.
Visa: Visa at the border cost 50 USD for all. Takes 5 minutes if no queue.
Mobil phone: Very good roaming in the cities and the main roads.
Recommended language: English.
Infrastructure: OK in the cities. Poor in the countryside.
Friendliness by the people: Friendly in the countryside. Not friendly in Lusaka.
Attention by Police/military: Many police barriers on the roads.
Crime: No bad experience.
Rainy period:: October to April.
Price level: Cheaper than Namibia and Botswana. Same price level as Tanzania.
Airport departure tax: N/A.
Zambia is a landlocked country in the Southern Africa. The neighbouring countries are the DR. Angola to the west, D.R. Congo to the north, Tanzania to the north-east, Malawi to the east, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia to the south.
Banks and bureaux de change will not accept dollar notes issued before 1990. 50 and 100 USD notes gives better rates... more travel advice
Kafue river is 960 km long, and has its source in the border between Zambia and DR Congo. Then it flows south through... more travel advice
georeiser's Related Pages
Zambia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zambia - African nutshell"
- "Zambia, check your transport first!!"
- "Three Years in Zambia !"
- "Canoeing on Zambezi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zambia
- Hotels in Zambia
- Transportation in Zambia
- Nightlife in Zambia
- Restaurants in Zambia
- Shopping in Zambia
- Warnings and Dangers in Zambia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zambia
- 58 Reviews
- 238 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Zambia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zambia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 92 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 76 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 80 reviews, 351 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lome Intro, 60 reviews, 293 photos, 10 travelogues
- Muscat Intro, 62 reviews, 278 photos, 9 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 61 reviews, 278 photos, 10 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 54 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 46 reviews, 235 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 54 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Windhoek Intro, 59 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues