"An absolute beauty rediscovered" Wamena by kumoratih

Wamena Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 51 photos

First visit to Papua

It was my first visit to Papua. I have never expected that Baliem Valley is so beautiful. Regardless of how I manage to get there - not to mention the bad road, limited transportation, etc - I was stunned with the scenery. Very peaceful, blue and clear sky, beautiful mountain, clean air - something I rarely get in Jakarta.

Getting to know Dani tribal culture

The most unforgettable moments for me was, when I got the chance to meet the Dani - traditional tribe, inhabitants of Baliem Valley. It was such an honor for me to be welcomed by Yali Mabel himself, as the head of the tribe. I went to Jiwika village in Baliem Valley, where I had the chance to experience their exotic tribal culture, through traditional welcoming rituals. The Dani were also proud to show us how they practise their war skills.

Enjoying traditional cuisine

When the Dani tribe welcomes guests, they would make a ritual where the whole village would make a barbeque. Usually they would throw a 'bakar batu' ritual (literally meaning burning stones), and have sweet potatoes, red fruits, vegetables, and pigs, grilled in the hot stones. It was great!

• Pros:Unique tribal culture, great landscape
  • Cons:Lack of public transportation, communication
  • In a nutshell:Great adventure in Baliem Valley
  • Last visit to Wamena: Jan 2008
  • Intro Written Mar 6, 2008

kumoratih

“Celebrating diversity through travelling”

Ranked Member